[Dailydrool] Where to live

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 10:46:36 PDT 2010

Nashville's city council has just passed a bill (the vote was 32 for,
3 against) that allows cities with populations over 100,000 to permit
restaurant owners to allow leashed, well-behaved dogs in outside
dining areas. The dog owners must agree to follow some rules (e.g.,
no dogs on the tables, etc.).

My neighborhood listserv is having a heated discussion about this, a
discussion that inevitably brings up the fact that most dogs are
better behaved, quieter, and more sanitary than the children that too
many parents insist on inflicting on diners in nice restaurants. I'm
staying out of that discussion.

It'll be interesting to see how many restaurants decide to try
opening their outside dining areas to dogs. Already we have at least
one Meet-Up group that hosts a "Yappy" or "Lappy" hour in a
restaurant's patio area on a regular basis during the warmer months.

To read more about Nashville's recent dog-friendly legislation, go to
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/dogs-now-allowed-
outdoor-dining-areas.

Elizabeth