[Dailydrool] This makes it all worthwhile!

Deborah L Hartpence hartpence at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 2 05:52:39 PDT 2010

One of my newest foster dogs, Mac Deuce (as Cyn put him on the website) is a

huge 75 lb. hunk o' love. He is only 3 years old, yet acts like an old man, so

I'm sure he never had a puppyhood. He spent his life in an outdoor pen, rain or

shine, cold or heat, he was outdoors and used as a breeder. Up until today, all

he has done is eat, sleep, and follow me from room to room.

I have been waiting and waiting for him to loosen up a bit and show his true

colors, as they all do after they become comfortable in a new home. This

morning, I was at my kitchen sink and heard a loud 'whoosh' behind me. Imagine

my surprise when I turned around and saw Big Mac lumbering around the house with

the remnants of a stuffed toy in his mouth, tail up and wagging, a big ole grin

on his face! Talk about a priceless moment-that was one! I think he's gonna be

all right in his new life, and he may even like it a little bit!

And THIS is the reason I foster, little milestones that make it all worthwhile.

These little things make me forget about all the times I have tripped over dogs,

all the messes and chewed up furniture: all these things are meaningless when

compared to a breakthrough moment like this.
For anyone that is on the fence about whether to foster or not, please give it a try.  Many rescues are being forced to close their doors due to a lack of foster homes. What would happen to YOUR beloved hound if circumstances change and they have to go to a shelter?  Will your local rescue be able to take him/her?  or will they be forced to say they are sorry, but there are no foster homes available. Think about it-it is one of the most rewarding experiences and will save the life of one more dog.