[Dailydrool] End of walk suggestions

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 17:07:33 PDT 2010

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!  I had thought about some type of harness as Georgie suggested, I just wonder how long it will take me to get them in and out of those contraptions...they sound appealing because they always pull on walks, even when we're not headed home, I just don't know if it would be too much trouble to chase them around and wrangle them in (especially Fred!)  I've also tried heading home via a different route...that works to a point, but they eventually figure it out (they're very smart you know!)  I had a dogwalker when I first got them, because I wasn't sure how well housetrained they were.  I have her occasionally now, but she charges $20 to walk them once a day, and $100 a week was more than I could continue to spend on a regular basis.  I wouldn't trust a non-professional though, because they are so difficult to walk.

Looks like my best option will be to lure them home with treats, or the promise of a treat.  They do get treats when they come in, but nothing exciting.  This might work, because when I take them out quickly to pee and poop before breakfast and dinner, and then say, "Are you guys hungry?  Let's go eat!" they usually run.  We'll see how it goes.  I may be putting more to their thought-process than there is, but they seem more willing to come in after their longer walk at night than after their longer walk in the morning.  I wonder if they realize that, after their morning walk, I'm only home with them for a short time and then I leave for the day.  At night, we come in, watch TV and then it's bedtime...hmmm....

Rose, Annie (we like that you guys keep telling our Mom to give us treats for everything!) and Fred (yeah, keep up the good work!!)