[Dailydrool] Asking to go out

Susan Green Suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 7 07:35:52 PDT 2010

I've only had 2 Basset Hounds, Pw Gina Marie ATB and Holly Noelle.  Both have always let me know they needed to go out.

If Gina needed to go out she would just come over and look at me.  I would ask if she needed to go out.  If she did she would turn and walk towards the door.  If not she would just stand there for some loving.

Holly is totally different.  She learned that if she wanted to come in from the yard she could just tap her nails on the glass door and I would come running.  I kept saying to her that she should learn to do that when she needs to go out.  Well, now she does, about 50% of the time....LOL   If she wants to go out to see the Westie in my neighbor's yard she will cry, but doesn't do that if she needs to go out to take care of business.  If she needs to go out during the night she will just walk around to my side of the bed and give a little cry...if I were in a deep sleep I would never hear it :)

Now that I think about it neither of them were very vocal.  They told me they needed to go out, but by their actions, not by barking or crying for the most part.

Suz