[Dailydrool] Giving dogs pills

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 13:45:54 PDT 2010

Awhile back there was a discussion on giving dogs pills and everyone
posted their tricks to giving their hound pills.  Well I had tried all
of those and at least in Ruger's case they all failed. Ruger would
either not take the loaded snack (chicken, peanut butter, liverwurst,
etc) or would somehow find and spit out the pill. He smells everything
before he will he will eat it, so I guess he would smell the invading
pill and reject his treat.  Unlike Colt who eats anything and
everything; that dog is part billy goat.  So with Ruger it always ended
up that I would have to open the jaws, drop the pill into the back of
the throat, close jaws and massage throat to get him to swallow. I hated
doing this to him.  And guess what he would sometimes be able to spit
out the pill anyway so I would have to try it again. A few weeks ago
while cruising the dog aisle at the store I saw that Greenies has a pill
pocket out. (Greenies...the company that puts out the green toothbrush
looking dog chews to help clean the teeth).  They have chicken & beef
flavored. I thought what the heck and tried them.  Ruger gulps them
right down...pill in pocket and all. No fuss, no fight, no stuffing
pills down his throat. Just put pill in pocket seal the end together and
give it to him.  They were $4.69 for 30 pill pockets. A little pricey
but well worth it in my opinion.  Anyhowl...I hope this might help some
other poor, frustrated dog mom out there.

Michele and the Bad A** Basset Brothers