[Dailydrool] Henry Update

Pam Watkins pam10447 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 15:46:21 PDT 2010

Thank you all so much for the drool.  Henry had a restful night.  He
seemed to have a few problems.  One, when the vet tried to open his
mouth, he would yelp and she heard a pop.  Then she felt the swelling
on the side of his neck and it was very hard.  After her appointments,
she sedated him and finally got his mouth open but had to luxate (?)
his jaw and popped it back into place so that it doesn't pop anymore.
She intubated him and had trouble getting the tube down his throat.
Come to find out, he has an abscess that is covering 70-75% of his
throat which is why he sounded like a freight train going through the
house when he slept.  X-rays were taken to see if there was something
that had punctured his throat but, she could see nothing.  She sent
them off to the radiologist this morning to see if he sees anything.
He also has hard swelling on the neck area.  To me it seems a little
bigger today than last night.  She did notice that when she shaved his
neck where it was swollen, 3 tiny red dots/tiny punctures.She is really
stumped as to what could have caused this.  I took him home about 9
last night so that I could keep a good eye and ear on him.  She did give
him a good shot of steroids for the swelling and a healthy shot of
antibiotics.
He had not eaten or drunk anything since Monday night.   When we got
home he headed straight to the water dish and drank enough to float a
boat.  I then gave him some of the c at t food the Vet had given me for
him and he did manage to eat almost the entire can.  This morning he
ate and drank and took his pills.   My friends on the Drool have all said
that it sounds like a spider bite and I am in agreement.  I have a call
into the vet to discuss this with her. Boy, I love all of you, You are all
more help than I can say.  Please keep Hen in your thoughts.  He still
is a pretty sick little guy.  Been a rough two months for Henry and Thelma.

I will write about my Sweet Senior later.  Thank you again for all the drool
and
good thoughts.  It really is powerful stuff.
Pam
Henry & Thelma