[Dailydrool] Difference in breeds

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 06:11:47 PDT 2010

First, I have been hoping the lost basset in Michegan has been found. Does
anyone have any news? We have paws and hands pressed together praying that
he is at home, safe and sound.

My granddogs have been visiting this week while my daughter is having some
fun with friends. They are two HUGE mastiffs. Brutus weighs about 125 pounds
and Sasha tops out at about 160. These guys are so mellow! The Houndettes
are pretty laid back but these pooches are unbelievably calm! The big boy is
eight this year so he doesn't have a lot of energy but Sasha is only two and
it's a blast to watch her participate in the 500 when the bassets get going.
Even more hysterical is when she tiggers. Ginger is our girl who will hop
and tigger around but to see the small pony do it is a riot. I have always
been a little nervous when they all get playing together because of the size
difference. Sasha has been around since she was ten weeks old so has grown
up with the Houndettes and has always played with them. I don't think she
has any conception of her size but is always remarkably careful around them.
It does make me hold my breath a little when they start getting a little
rough though. Ginger loves to roll and the big dogs will hit her with their
chest and she will just roll and roll. I know it's deliberate on her part
but it still gives me the willies.

We have not had any more fights since the other day. Even though our Ginger
is so much smaller than Brutus, her aggressiveness will take her a long
way. It scared the heck out of me when she went after him! She's so much
shorter than he is that she was right under his neck and you know what she
went after. One of the first things we noticed about Ginger when she came to
us as a foster dog was all the scaring she has on her snout. Well, now we
know why. Of course, we'll never know what her situation was before us but,
since she is so terribly food aggressive, we've always wondered if she was
in a pack and had to fight for her food.

The 160 pound mastiff is on medication for an infection. Thought I'd just
put the pill in a piece of hot dog and we'd be good. Well, NO! She spit that
out in a hurry. I decided to give her a pill just like I do Suzy. My hand
isn't big enough to go around her snout! It's too funny! So the poor thing
gets her nose covered for a minute while I pry her front teeth apart and
literally shove my whole hand in her mouth to get the pill back far enough.
Thank doG this girl is so sweet. I got thinking about the damage she could
do to me with my whole hand in her mouth....kind of freaked me out!

We're sending drool (with two mastiffs here and the Houndettes, we have LOTS
to spare!) and prayers to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes plus two
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
Brutus & Sasha