[Dailydrool] Basset Rescue Pups/ Sin City's got 'em

decadog at cox.net decadog at cox.net
Fri Sep 24 16:31:24 PDT 2010

<<Anyone thinking of a puppy - please check with a basset rescue.  I am amazed
the number of pups available this year through the various basset rescues. >>
Jan, your words hit home. This thread on pups available via rescue is perfect timing to chime in about our recent "clients" (well, we work for them!).
We have a Momma Basset and 7 mixed pups. They were dumped in the desert in Tonopah, NV. That's a small one-horse town halfway between Las Vegas and Reno. Luckily, animal control and concerned citizens were able to round them up. There were 8 pups originally, but the shelter adopted out one before we were contacted. We picked them up on Tuesday. All are at the vet now, they've been spayed/neutered/vetted and are recovering well. Because there were 8 total that we received, they're named after the TV show "Eight is Enough".  There is momma, Joanie, who is a little tri-color girl the vet thinks is about 4 years old. Her pups are approx. 6-7 months old (yes, the dumpers waited awhile to dump!), bigger than her, cute as can be, maybe mixed with labX, all tan. They are Mary, Susan, Nancy, Elizabeth, David, Tommy, and Nicholas. Thankfully, they weren't starving and all appear to be in good health. A volunteer is now working on a video for us to post on our website with their story. Joanie is still caring for her babies, she licks them, corrects them, and they are staying close to her. The 3 boys are very shy, with little Nicholas the most afraid. The girls are more outgoing. We know Joanie is ready for them to fly the nest and also find herself a deserving home. We'll be working on that.
Like most rescues, we are broke, making payments at the vet offices, and asking for donations to help us with our "Bradford Family". The cost to get all their needs taken care of will be approx. $1,300. Then we must board them while we find foster/adoptive homes. I will report when the video is up. We also just got in two senior hounds. One a victim of foreclosure and the other an outcast due to new-baby syndrome. Time to make additions to the site again! And so it goes.....
Thanks, Darlene, www.lasvegasbassetrescue.com