[Dailydrool] now what?

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 12:14:26 PDT 2010

  Getting another basset? Should you?  It's not really a yes or no type question.  When my 13 year old Calypso passed last August, I had decided that I would wait ahwile ( at least a year) to get another.  I still had one basset and I wasnt ready for another.

But then....BOOM.... Looziana Basset Rescue decided to start the process to close down.  I had done some stuff with them before, so i wanted to help if I Could.  Their president said that I could help by adopting, fostering, or donating.  I was really leaning towards donating, with a slight chance of fostering.  I went to the animal hospital where they boarded some of their bassets, to see if I wanted to foster any of them.  They were nice dogs...but none jumped out at me.  They had one more that was already being fostered, so I went to take a look.....with the idea that I would probably not want to adopt yet.  I just wasnt ready.  And then I met Annabelle.  She was so good natured.  So happy.  And she had reason not to be.  Her original slaves got divorced, and dumped her at the shelter after 6 years because neither of them wanted  her.  She was saved by another breed rescuer who saw her and realized it was her last day on Earth.  This rescuer knew the head of LBHR, so she took this beautiful girl home with her, contacted LBHR, and fostered the dog until I met her.  I think i knew from the moment that I saw her that she was coming home with me.  She reminded me a lot of Calypso...matter of fact I am sure that Calypso sent her to me.  I dont know that I had a choice.  I adopted her the next day and she has been a joy ever since.

  Long story short.....you will know when it is time.  You will know the right hound when you see him or her.  Trust your heart and you will know when you are ready.

Tom
Slave to Harley, Annabelle, and Calypso (ATB)