[Dailydrool] Our GOTCHA day

sfwill at aol.com sfwill at aol.com
Thu Sep 30 08:49:53 PDT 2010

One year ago today, September 30, i sat on my couch and had a panic attack.  when that was calmed, i went out to buy cigarettes (i had quit the previous june).  a nervous wreck, i took sleeping pills to sleep.  the reason for all this?  the next day, october 1, i was picking up gus, my first dog ever.
gus had been dropped off at a doggie daycare after the family became pregnant and decided their 3 yr old basset would not get along with the unborn baby.  then, he was adopted out to a family with 4 other dogs and promptly returned because they all couldn't get along.  this daycare took care of him for 3 months but had decided that they could not longer keep him and set his date for euthanasia for october 2.  the family who brought him back because of the other dogs not getting along with him apparently felt bad enough to spread the word among co-workers about him.  my girlfriend is one of those co-workers and called me and said, "look at the picture i just emailed you.  he's beautiful, you would love the company, please let's go out and meet him."  now, you must understand that i was never what you'd call a dog-lover.  i liked the dogs i knew in my family and friend's homes, but i was skittish around all others.  i was not a natural.  but the picture pulled at me and off we went to meet him on the sunday before oct 2.
there i found the most friendly fellow, very affectionate, and well-trained.  i told them i would call them the next day with my answer, although my heart knew already.  i'll never forget the girl at the desk saying to me, "are you going to take gus?"  i said i might.  she said, "i only work weekends, so that means this might be the last time i see him.  so i'm going to make out with him all afternoon!"  i thought that was so funny, and it spoke volumes to me of his disposition.
one year ago tonight, the panic set in.  how could i so this?  what if he's not a good dog?  what if he doesn't like me?  what if i do something wrong?  how will i learn what to do with him?  could i ever really like a dog?  a DOG??
despite having had a fabulous career, great lifelong friends, a loving a family and what i thought was a full life, i knew nothing before life-with-gus.  i am teary-eyed at my desk writing this, trying to aptly describe what he has brought to my life.
he's the man.  tomorrow night, our gotcha day, i happen to have a date and already i'm thinking, "how can you leave him on your gotcha day?"  and then i think, "susan, you are not cheating on him."  lol
he's the best cuddler i've ever met and i've been around the block, so to speak.
he's the funniest guy-a real comedian.
his sensitivity amazes me.  just at the right moment, he'll perform his bassett 500, knowing i'll applaud and howl with laughter.
he's a great conversationalist, especially when he wants to go to the couch for hugs and kisses.
and talk about puppy-sighs.  he's a big sigher, and that warms me to the bottom of my heart.
he's my protector: that big lab across the street better not bust down our door and come harm his momma, or there will be big trouble!
as tom cruise said in Jerry Maguire:  he completes me.
i love you, Gus, like no other.  and i pray to doG that i can someday become the person you think i am.
susan, loving slave to gus
gus-ok, now stop your crying,  where's the cake?