[Dailydrool] Buddy the unplanned foster

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:24:12 PDT 2011

After 3 full days with us, our foster boy Buddy is doing great. He's getting
along well with my boys, although he and Rupert have battled off and on for
alpha. He's definitely a bit needy and Rupert is known to be a mom-hog, so
the snarkiness was bound to happen.

Buddy is a chunky basset, who could stand to lose a few pounds. He hasn't
been regularly walked but so far seems to love walking with us. He is a
power walker, rarely stopping to sniff - a far cry from my boys who stop to
sniff nearly every blade of grass. Buddy walks so fast/pulls so hard that he
sometimes chokes himself, so I'm thinking I will definitely need to get him
a harness before sending him to a forever home.

He loved getting his ears cleaned - I got real deep inside with the cotton
balls and he was in absolute heaven. It's been the only time I've gotten the
"back leg shake" out of him - no matter where else I pet and scratch him,
nothing is as good as the ear cleaning.

Next I plan to give him a bath and tackle his nails. They are gnarly long!
His dad said he hates getting them done, and the groomer has to muzzle him,
so we will see.

The best news is that we may already have a home lined up. I've been playing
phone tag with a woman who is interested in learning more about Buddy.
She unexpectedly lost 1 of her 2 hounds a couple weeks ago and the remaining
hound is extremely lonely. I am hoping we can get in touch with one another
today to discuss Buddy and find out what she is looking for in a hound. If
it doesn't work out, then I intend to work with BHRSC to get him checked by
their vet and the listed online. They've offered assistance, but are
anticipating 4 owner surrenders this week and have 3 more hounds they're
watching in the shelters, so I'd really like to prevent the additional
burden of Buddy.

Thanks to those who emailed words of encouragement and support on and
offlist. Without the drool I probably would have never got invovled in
rescue, and now the more I see, the more I want to help. Such difficult and
sad work, but it is oh-so-rewarding to see Buddy play and snuggle instead of
live on a cement floor at the shelter.

Drool to all,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert + Buddy