[Dailydrool] multiple bassets

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 9 19:09:26 PDT 2011

Jean Paul is the alpha, and he will not strike to draw blood, but he is the largest and heaviest, and he uses his size to block, toss and intimidate.  Pumpkin was the first one of this pack, but she relinquished alpha to JP right away, not that she needed to, it just happened.  Pierre Louis and JP were great friends, and only bickered once, over a treat in a milk bone box.  The treat was the box, not the bone, but Pierre learned in that one less JP was KING.  Jellybean kind of made JP cranky, he was saying enough already, but now, he licks her face, and they snuggle all the time.  Problems started when Nigel and Colette arrived, liter mates.   They chewed the be jebbers out of each other.  They arrived at 10 weeks, and almost every week one or the other were ripping each others ears apart, and I think this is when the happy family became warrior family.  (and yet, Nigel and Colette are completely bonded.) Pumpkin, who never fought with anyone, was in constant, fierce battles with Nigel until the day I set them both straight, claiming my right to be alpha (no need to address this issue to JP at this time however.)  Then came Max, and he fought fiercely with Pierre, and in separating them, I had taken the hit of Max's crooked teeth, but I saved Pierre, who later had ER visits due to Nigel.  Then came Nikki who calmed Max down.  Then Pierre passed, and now there is Pierre jr. who constantly challenges JP, but I again remind them I am the alpha.  JP and Pierre jr. have bark offs that really annoy me as it seems to be a posture that will lead to blows.  One night, I was so annoyed at this I started barking louder and fiercer to both of them, and Nigel ran to the downstairs.  My sister was wondering what the heck I said to them, and I don't even really know, but they looked so confused when I do this, they stop their silliness.
All hounds were spayed and neutered at appropriate ages or came this way from rescue.  I think part of the behavior was from stress at home, not amongst themselves, but because of Mom's dementia.  Since she has been at Assisted Living, the fights are few and far between.  Also, Pierre was more sick than I even realized, and I kind of believe they knew it.  Nikki was rescued to be his "girl friend", but she was so high energy, and he was so tired and ill, that he would scream at her "get away" even if she came in the room.  Nikki was 5 months old, and she didn't have her brains, so I cannot blame her.
Just like with humans, there are multiple factors for behavior.  Good health, exercise, nutrition and a positive environment may help to keep the peace.  This is what I am striving for here, and for the most part, we are getting along.

Peace out,
Jackie and the herd