[Dailydrool] Question about aggressive dog behavior

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 12:15:41 PDT 2011

Both of my neutered male bassets are very peaceful and have only had tiffs with
one another when Harley is trying to actually steal food out of Bo's mouth!
(very rare, and nonexistent now since I stand between them if they are each
given something wonderful to eat). Both are slow and gentle with other dogs and
I have rarely had problems at dog parks, especially since Harley was neutered
(he used to be something of a pedophile). Harley is alpha. Bo is pretty much a
total wuss. (Sorry, Commander). Harley loves the dog park and plays with other
dogs until he is exhausted. Bo likes the dogpark and sniffs the perimeters by
himself but doesn't much interact with other dogs unless they come to sniff him.
When they do, he is cordial, wags his tail, does the routine, then proceeds on
his way.

Yesterday we went to the dogpark. We have discovered that there are only dogs
there on Saturday mornings (for no apparent reason--it is open but deserted
every other day). Bo was doing his perimeter sniff, Harley playing. A couple of
people came in with a few large dogs. One of the dogs sniffed a few of the other
dogs--no problem--then went over to Bo and attacked him, grabbing him by the
snooter and shaking, blood flying. The big dog owners were on their dog, as was
I, in a flash, and Bo's wounds were superficial. Bo shrieked as only a basset
can scream for several minutes. The big dog owner was apologetic, explaining
that their dog had just finished a "rehabilitation" course for "red zone
aggressive dogs", and passed, and this was his first outing with regular dogs.
(He flunked).

So my question is, Why Bo? Because he is generally fearful? Because he was the
weakest/lowest non-alpha in the park? Because he takes medicine for a chronic
illness and his odor might not be quite right? Because he was alone and not with
other dogs to protect him? Or just plain bad luck?

Since we have moved, Bo has been more anxious than usual, and I was pleased that
he seemed relaxed at the dogpark yesterday. (Until this happened--now we are
back to go without collecting $200).