[Dailydrool] Reassurance

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Sun Apr 10 12:26:30 PDT 2011

 Thanks other multiple-hound owners for sharing your "pack issues."  Sometimes while breaking up scuffles here I think I am the ONLY one dealing with snarky Bassets.

Before becoming a four-hound family we've only ever had two dogs at a time.  One was a teensy little Pomeranian who honestly believed she was a fuzzy person and thus, Queen of the Household, and a mixed breed Shepard/Dobie.  Even as a puppy, Peyton was larger than Buffy but after establishing that she may not have been large but WAS in charge, Buffy usually just watched Peyton's puppy antics from her perch.  The only time I observed any conflict between them was when my husband (who doesn't always think of the possible consequences of his actions) gave the girls chewy treats while they shared the bed with him.  Both were happily chewing on their own until Buffy decided that perhaps Peyton's migh be softer on her old Pom teeth so she meandered over to where Peyton's lay on the bed and picked it up.  It only took a moment for Peyton to grab Buffy by the scruff of her neck and shake her vigorously for about 15 seconds after which I regained my voice and screamed "DROP IT" at Peyton.  She was a good dog...and she did.  Poor Buff didn't stop yelping for another five minutes.  I'm sure her doggy life flashed in front of her face while this was happening.  Thank Dawg she wasn't hurt - although that really wasn't Peyton's intent.  It was "How dare you touch my treat, you bitch!"

Many issues here involve Dudley and Dozer.  I'm sure both fended for themselves on the streets before being rescued so undoubtedly to fought for/over food at some point.  We've resolved food and treat issues by offering them to each in their own space - so if, Dawg forbid, a piece is dropped it can be retrieved y its rightful owner before blood is drawn.  The other issue is who is closest at that moment to me or the Dadslave.  Me, mostly.  If I choose to cuddle on the couch it's usually with Delilah who will issue "this is my cushion, back off" barks but seldom fights.  Sometimes Daisy or Dozer joins us.  Dudley would be in my lap all the time but if Dozer comes anywhere near the couch or even looks in that direction Dud goes into a frenzy and had nailed me a couple of times while doing so.  So, he has lost his 'couch with Mama' privileges because of this.

Daisy has become very snarky of late over little things; "I'm in the kitchen and you are too close" or "don't look at me that way!" and other dumb stuff.  She goes for the ears and poor Dud is usually the recipient of her ire.  Little guy has several scars on both.  Daisy gets scolded and a time out in the garage for this behavior but so far, this hasn't completely deterred her.  Sigh... Wondering if this is something they would do in a non-domesticated group situation to work things out...and heartened to know it's happening in other multi-hound households.

Sandi, Mamaslave to the "normal" NJ4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley