[Dailydrool] Moles, Voles, and Transports

Kelly Jane Wilson chincoteaguegal at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 17:20:29 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I do not know the difference between a mole and a vole, do not care overmuch, and neither does Gigi. She quite likes them. Two stories. Mid-week Gigi was lounging on the big green slumber ball that I had put on the deck for her. She had something in her mouth on the bed. I assumed it was a big turd, except she was not eating it. Finally I put a scoop bag over my hand and went in after it, right in her mouth. It was a dead baby mole. I don't know if she found it dead or killed it herself.

The next day my roommate Ron related another mole story. The green slumber ball was back inside, Gigi came in from outside and headed for it. She kept her back turned to Ron and would not let him see that she obviously had something in her mouth. He saw little legs and a tail. He sternly told her to drop it. She swallowed it instead. No apparent side effects.

I think there might have been a nest under the dining room window. A couple of the dogs kept checking out the area there for the past few days.

Transports. I did a robust transport today, some 325 miles round trip. It always saddens me that these dogs travel so light. No toys, no blankets, no stuffies, nothing to indicate that they had their own stuff that they lived with in a previous life. Maybe that is part of the gig, that they are starting anew. I know they will get new stuff and have great lives. Just a little sad that they cannot bring something with them because there was nothing to bring.

I'm working with a transport coordinator on another transport for a couple of chocolate Labs. In this case, the transport does not even know their names. Very sad to see that passenger 1 and passenger 2, both their names are Unknown. I'm sure they have names, just sad that the people involved in the rescue of them do not know the names yet. One of the Labs is 9 years old. Look out, he might not get out of Nashville. I have a soft spot.

Off to find old Hee Haw reruns. Maybe that will snap me out of this angst. Of course the story of the moles is enough to raise a smile. Or is it a grimace?

Kelly Jane and the Wilson Gang