[Dailydrool] Waddle and Fund Raising Season.

Sandy Gaston sandy at animalnature.com
Sun Apr 24 12:57:54 PDT 2011

To all our Daily Drool Digest Family,

I got an e-mail the other day that was very upsetting to me. One of our
members wrote to me and I wrote back asking if we could talk. I called her,
and I am not putting her name in this post because she is fearful she will
be flamed or laughed at or even shunned. This is a new member and also new
to rescue. She has a rescue hound and has never been to a waddle before or
gee, even any kind of basset party. She has read the drool and wanted to go
to the Michigan Waddle and even thought of trying to get her houndy girl to
be queen. She really didn't feel like she had any fund raising skills.   She
told me how impressed she was to see the things that people did to raise
money for rescues. She had been asking folks that she worked with to support
her houndy girl wanting to be queen and was so surprised that so many were
willing to help and donated knowing that the money would go to rescue. Then
she started reading about things not going for cheap and also reading about
how people were making money and didn't understand how all this happened and
just what did "cheap" mean. I tried to explain things to her and how all the
rescues did fund raising things like Hoe Downs, Basset Fun Days or Waddles,
and that there were all kinds of different things all for the same reason to
make money for the homeless hounds, I just tried the best way I could to
give 101 basset fund raising events information. So because of our phone
call I see now that things should be even, not one person better than
another, because there are so many folks trying to make money for their
waddles no matter what rescue it is. I read how T-shirt sales were down for
smaller rescues, I read folks saying even a dollar will help, PLEASE HELP,
well those folks are right! People have lost their jobs, their homes, I know
a couple who are living in their van but they are still willing to help the
hounds and feeling lucky they have been able to hold on to their personal
hounds. Maybe not like they were able to help before but to help in any way
they can. The great thing about the drool digest is when a rescue has a
special need like we just got in 60 hounds or we have a hound that needs
surgery and we don't have the money, they can come to us and ask for help,
they set up special pages and members reach deep in their pockets and help
how they can. Times are hard right now for every one, rescues included.  So
I say go for it. If you want your hound to be queen or king really go for it
because the money you raise will go to rescue no matter what.  Some years
these things go for big money and other years not so big money but all in
all the rescue gets the money and in today's economy even a buck is helpful
because that buck with many others from lots of folks is what keeps rescues
being able to help the homeless hounds.  Every single contribution no matter
how small is a sacrifice, something given up for a greater need and should
be honored regardless the amount.  To say someone's hard earned contribution
is not enough is the true insult and must not be tolerated. There is a
tremendous amount of fund raising going on right now and this is why the
moderators asked for folks to only post a couple times a week so every one
had a fair playing field, so the members didn't get over run with one or two
people talking about their fund raising and we still had lots of educational
help and funny stories on the digest. I am happy to say that most folks have
honored this. Please remember there are 3000 members and lots of these folks
want to help the poor hounds.

One more thing there will be no flaming about this subject; I could not let
this just go by the way side, if you have something positive to add to this
please post it. If you feel a need to be upset about what I just posted send
your comments to me personally but they will not happen on the digest.

Thanks for the time you took to read this and think about it.

Sandy Gaston your head moderator, who ready does try hard to keep the digest
a safe and fair place for our drool digest family.