[Dailydrool] Making Dog Treats

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Mon Apr 25 16:11:42 PDT 2011

We have a dehydrator.  The big giant jumbo kind.  We haven't done any meat treats for the dogs yet, but we have done plenty of sweet potato chips, apple slices, pear slices, peach slices, carrot slices, zucchini slices and tomatoes for the dogs.  This year I am also going to try some green beans.  The dogs love them and so do the humans.  The dogs can't eat the same meat and neither can the humans.  Plus I still worry about salmonella, e. coli, etc.  Drying is not necessarily at a high enough temp to kill all the germs and I don't want the dogs eating as much salt as human jerky.  Some of the dog treat books have you boil the meat and then dry it.  I haven't tried it yet because of the allergy issue.  I like keeping snacks low calorie.  My dogs LOVE fruits and veggies.

Jennifer, mom slave to Beauford and Bugsey