[Dailydrool] making dog treats

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue Apr 26 14:38:13 PDT 2011

Same here...i got scared of all the treat recalls and decided to make chicken jerky for the boys rather than spending a small fortune on it. So about  3 years ago my neighbor gave me a small dehydrator since she was getting a new one (larger)  It worked well but small and she bragged about her's and how easy it was to clean, yada yada. So I upgraded and bought one like hers. It is an Excaliber Dehydrator that has been refurbished.  I've had mine for almost 2 years now and love it!  Even got my Mom and my co-worker in on making jerky for their dogs.

So couple of recipes:
Chicken Jerky (joint and skin)
Marinade:
    1 box of chicken broth (sodium free)  Use beef broth for a different flavor
    2 glucosamine chewable tablets (powdered)
    2 tablespoons of Flax seed oil
    2 tablespoons of salmon or fish oil
Marinade chicken for 24-48 hours in fridge.
Dehydrate until chicken snaps into.

Chiken drippin's Sweet Tater chips:
Slice sweet potatoes into chips
dunk into chicken jerky marinade
Place chips under the chicken jerky on the dehydrator to let the chicken drip onto the sweet potatoe chips

Simple Jerky:
Slice meat into thin slices and place on dehydrator until they snap into.
Use Chicken, beef, venison, or duck.
You can also make liver jerkey...but dont let it get to the snapping into stage...just dehydrate until it bends and then breaks into.  the boys seem to like the liver a little chewie.

Frozen treats:
Watermelon Ice Cubes: Take a few pieces of watermelon  or honeydew and blend into juice.  Pour into ice cube trays and freeze

Chunky Monkey Ice Cream: In a blender add 1 cup Organic low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 banana, 2 tablespoons organic peanutbutter blend until creamy.  Pour into small "bathroom" Dixie cups (fill cups 1/2 way) and freeze
Very Berry Ice Cream: In a blender add 1 cup Organic low fat vanilla yogurt, a handful of blackberry, raspberry, blueberry & strawberry's blend until creamy.  Pour into small "bathroom" Dixie cups (fill cups 1/2 way) and freeze

Frozen nanners: Slice ripe banana anyway you want and freeze.
The boys also like just raw/plain ol' honeydew & watermelon, red bell peppers, and sliced sweet potatoe

These are a few of the Bad A** Basset Brothers Treats.
Hope that this helps

Michele momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers

Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...