[Dailydrool] Pills

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 08:14:26 PDT 2011

I know that at least one member of the OEBE must have contacted Belvedere to let him know that inside that tasty turkey were pills---evil pills that would do awful things to him. Because just after I posted about the wonders of turkey for pilling, Bel started spitting it out and carefully removing the pills. Muenster cheese no longer works either. I am back to pilling him like a cat. I am hoping my fingers will remain where they currently are: on my hands. It's very risky putting your fingers so close to those sharp teeth.

I'm thinking of trying him out on ground beef now, though I'm a bit unsure at his age that raw beef will be good for him.

A basset can be rather frail and still put up a big fight over pills that will make him feel much better. Yesterday he spit out one of his glucosamine pills and paid the price later in the day. The first pill (his antibiotic) goes down pretty well, but the rest of them are a fight to the finish, and I finally gave up. I warned him that he'd be hurting later, and it would be his own fault. He didn't change his mind.

Why do I feel so silly, saying such things to a hound?

I think I will try harder today, even if he spits the pills out, but I don't want to hurt him. I'm sure all this wrestling isn't good for him.

Today he has yet to have his pills and is moving around fairly well. I'm tempted to think....

No, no, the basset brainwaves are getting into my head! I must repeat: He needs his pills, he needs his pills, he needs his pills....
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, one of whom is slowly pushing her towards the edge. When she goes over, she may have only nine fingers--or will it be eight?