[Dailydrool] Concerned about discharge

Jessica Mackey jesslyn714 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 19:20:46 PDT 2011

Hello,
I am writing because I am concerned about my 7 year old Basset, Maggie Mae. I was wondering if anyone might have experienced the same problems we are having...

About a week and a half ago we started noticing Maggie's behind was a little dirty. I cleaned it but the next morning it looked the same so we bathed her. Again, by morning it looked the same (brown discharge on hair around anus and on underside of tail). Then we started noticing brownish smears on the wall where her dog bed sits. I have been wiping her  clean every morning. The weird thing is, she does not scoot or try to itch or lick the area. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. Her anal glands do not seem swollen either. There is no blood on or in her stool. There is an odor but it isn't horrible. Tonight I wiped and it looked as though there might be a tiny bit of blood in the discharge. Also, our other dogs seem attracted to the area...I am worried it could be serious and will get her into the vet this week, just curious what others opinions might be.

We rescued Maggie 4 years ago from the pound and she has not had any issues like this before.
Thank you!
Jessica and Maggie Mae