[Dailydrool] Oops the rest of my message disappeared into the nether world.THIS IS LONG

mr knoll rescuebassetmolly at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 09:29:25 PDT 2011

As I started to say about collars, about 4 or 5 years ago
Molly Bob and I stopped at a friends where Bosco  (beautiful male basset and Molly Bob;s Beau ;0)) lives.
She was wearing a slip collar, I normally take it off but was only stopping for a minute, so out to the back yard they ran.
within 5 minutes we heard what sounded like a dog fight. We ran outside, to find the two of them entangled. Bosco
had gotten his lower jaw caught in her slip collar, they were twisted up BAD. when i got to them they were panicked.
I grabbed Bosco \, tucked all 65 pounds under my left arm and untwisted Molly Bob. I had to flip her over 4 times.
KC took Bosco, I had to breathe into Molly Bob's face for a few seconds til she caught her breathe.
Bosco broke a canine tooth off and was bleeding from the mouth. KC dropped me off at my house and went to her vet with Bosco.
I put Molly Bob in her crate in the car and flew off to my vet. They put her on oxygen for about 30 minutes and monitored her for a few hours
til the know she would be okay., I never left the clinic. about 2 months later I noticed that when she drank water, she would gag. Back o the vet.
She was developing scar tissue in her throat. they ran a balloon down to stretch it out. then in the fall of '09 she started to have some pain, I was not sure what was
going on, then one day she bumped the corner of the computer desk with er nose and SCREAMED out in pain, If you have ever heard a dog scream in pain, you
know how terrifying that can be. Off to the vet we ran. Her vet sent us to a vet in Great Falls. about 250 miles away. she had a CT scan done there. BONE CHIPS in her spine.
OMD I was scared. She had to have surgery.{Thank you Bobthedog for helping me get through that ordeal} Dr. Shrirr, removed almost a tablespoon of bone chips.
She now is as good as new, well almost. no tug a war, no pulling, no on the bed. but most importantly follow those rules and NO PAIN.
I switched to a martingale collar [at home she wears NONE. Our yard is  fenced all around even if she got out of the house she would be in the fence.]
That is until the day she got in the crate in the car and caught it on the latch, She panicked big time. I had to grab her tight while my DH struggled to get her
unhooked. No more martingale, at least not when we travel,,,
to the snap buckle collar that I can quick release if she gets caught.
I did use a harness, but not when we travel. I take the collar off in the crate. and put it on when we take her out.
She HATES the harness. since she has had a recent bout of neck trouble I am back to the harness, she runs when she sees it, once it is on she stands there like it is a horrible thing, but once we strat walking she is fine. Go figure Any way there is our story of the collars.
Martha