[Dailydrool] Is this normal?

Cheryl Medlin tmedlin at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 17 05:03:19 PDT 2011

Dear Sad Basset Parents,

When my sister gave me Buddy, a Terrier mix only one month after my almost 13 yr old Basset Buster passed, I thought for months that Buddy was needy and sweet, but he wasn't Buster. I missed Buster so, and still do; his 2nd year ATB is this coming Sunday. Buddy had all kinds of problems with fleas and worms and irritated skin. Taking care of him was a full time job. But $1000 and almost two years later, Buddy is well adjusted and he had become my little boy. If I hadn't had a bad shoulder and am into my sixties, I would have another Basset. Buddy is a smaller dog and with memories of having to pick Buster up with a bad shoulder and realizing I could never do the things I had done for him like teaching him to walk again after spinal surgery and giving him intensive care for 10 weeks, I have declined to take a Basset. But I still have a love affair with the breed. I still swoon over every one I see anywhere. Memories stay, but having Buddy helped the wounds to heal over some.