[Dailydrool] Elsinore Basset's film debut

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 10:15:07 PDT 2011

One of the volunteer service coordinators at the hospice where our
Elsinore works as a pet therapist asked if Elsinore would be
interested in being part of the new video the hospice is making of
the residence facility and all it offers. No actual residents or
family members were to be in the video, but they did want to have a
pet therapy dog make a cameo appearance.

The coordinator said she specifically wanted one of the hospice's pet
therapy dogs who isn't your typical pet therapy dog. Everyone, she
said, thinks of retrievers or the little lap dogs when they think of
the type of dog that does pet therapy work. But she wanted to send
the message that all kinds of dogs can do pet therapy work, and what
better non-typical pet therapist breed than a basset? Plus, she
pointed out, Elsinore exudes personality and enthusiasm, and the
hospice wanted to film a dog who looked sincerely happy to be there.
With arguments like those, how could I stand in Elsinore's way of
being an ambassador for both pet therapy and her breed?

Elsinore agreed to take part in the film so long as the hospice would
agree to honor the "no-bath" clause in her contract. She dislikes
having to bathe before going to the hospice, and she'd just had a
bath on Monday morning for her regularly scheduled stint there. She
really didn't want to have to take another bath the next evening in
preparation for filming the following morning. (I think she worries
about developing dry, flaky, itchy skin.) The coordinator said
Elsinore could skip the bath, especially since she'd be too busy
filming to do much in the way of interacting with any of the residents.

If we'd had more lead time, I know Elsinore would have wanted to
consult with Miss Angela Basset on things like lighting, camera
angles, hitting your mark, sweet-talking cranky directors into
considering a different motivation for the character, and avoiding
the entire costume department altogether. But unfortunately there
just wasn't time. To mollify Elsinore I told her I was pretty sure
Miss Angela would simply advise her to exude self-confidence, be
natural, and not indulge in overacting.

And that's what Elsinore did. In her pet therapy vest, however. She
doesn't normally wear her pet therapy vest. Normally she's happily
nude while on the job because I don't like the way the vest covers up
most of her shoulders, which is the best part of her for patting. But
I figured she should don it for this particular film role so she'd
look truly official. After all, if you're going to march in the
Fourth of July parade, you probably should wear your Girl Scout
uniform, including the sash with all your merit patches. I was
pleased that Elsinore didn't seem to be bothered or feel constricted
by her pet therapy uniform. There's nothing worse than an actress
throwing a temper tantrum over a costume she hates wearing.

After our preparatory walk around the block, Elsinore poked her head
into a few offices to check in with the administration on her way to
the set, inquired about the catering truck, and then got to work
playing herself as Hospice Pet Therapist. The set was Room 170 and
the hallway outside it.

First the cameraman/director asked us to walk down the hall and turn
into the room. That's when visions of Delta Pet Partners officials
watching the video and immediately firing Elsinore flashed before my
eyes. Part of the biannual Delta test involves walking a distance
with the dog "on a loose leash." Uh-oh. Elsinore's usually so eager
to meet and greet at the hospice that her loose leash often isn't
exactly regulation loose.

Fortunately this wasn't a test, so I could--and did--pack lots treats
to ensure full cooperation. Knowing I was carrying high-premium
treats and wasn't afraid to dole them out made Elsinore want to stick
close enough to me to give her leash that lovely U-bend a Delta
evaluator wants to see. I just hope the editor doesn't decide to use
the very first take, which shows Elsinore doing a small jump next to
me to try to get a treat from my hand. The cameraman thought it was
cute, but Delta wouldn't.

We walked down the hall several times for the cameraman, who kept
telling Elsinore things like "Perfect!" and "Good!" With each praised
walk down the hall, Elsinore's trot became bouncier and gayer. As he
was about to move the lights into Room 170 for the next scene, it
seemed to dawn on the cameraman that he had a real basset in front of
him. A basset with long ears, tons of loose skin around the neck,
jowls that quiver at the slightest movement, and a gait that sets all
those attributes swinging amusingly at different rates of speed.

Appreciative of the potential for adding a little humor to his film,
the cameraman asked Elsinore to walk down the hall a few more times
while he filmed her down at her eye level. Then he sat on the floor
and asked her to move naturally and look into the camera for him. She
was very obliging, moving in so close to the camera that it must have
captured a marvelously enormous and distorted basset nose.

For her scene in the hospice room, all Elsinore had to do was sit
beside an armchair while a hospice employee patted her head. I was
pleased by how long Elsinore was able to hold her sit-stay while also
continuing to look back and forth with convincing interest between
the camera and the person patting her. I don't think the look of
enjoyment on her face while she was being patted was merely acting.
She was really living her role and enjoying every minute of it.

I don't know when the video will be produced or if it will be
available to the public for viewing, but if it is, I'll be sure to
post the link to it. Then everyone can admire the worn-out shoes I
was wearing. Don't ask me why it didn't occur to me that for this
particular film, one that focuses on a very short dog, my feet and
legs would feature prominently. Oh, well. I'll just have to hope that
Elsinore's acting was so superb that the audience will see only her
and not even notice my shoes. In the meantime, Elsinore will be
looking into having a rubber stamp of her paw made because she really
hates doing pawtographs.

Elizabeth