[Dailydrool] So, do they become like us, or do likes attract?

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 19:18:14 PDT 2011

I'm curious. Do you think that our bassets become like us (as we are), or is there a mutual attraction between like creatures?

Today I dropped my two bassets off at doggie daycare for three hours while I did errands in town. When I picked them up, both were exhausted beyond words and have slept all afternoon. Both are eight years old; not beyond the pale--seniors but active; friendly but not fawning. It seems just that 'socializing' is becoming harder work for both.

My husband and I are both a bit on the introvertish side. We would both prefer an evening by the fireplace with books, to a party anyplace. We are also friendly and caring, but overwhelmed by a lot of activity and exhausted by a lot of human interaction. I gave up art fairs a few years ago because I simply could not smile and talk for six hours straight at a time anymore. Not that I don't love customers--I do--but that I haven't the energy to interact for more than a short span.

It seems to me that Bo and Harley, our two bassets, have become the same way over the past few years. Not a given. My stepdaughter (Bill's daughter whom we raised, could probably go 36 or even 48 hours at a time socializing and interacting with charm--she is an extrovert. I can't imagine this changing with time. We bore her silly.) Our son together is more like we are. Our bassets? Bo has always been as we are. Harley, whom we adopted 5 years ago, started out as an extrovert more like my stepdaughter who could not get enough smiles and pets and noise and activity. Now he is becoming a friendly but more introverted grump like the rest of our household. He had had more than enough of a puppy temporary foster guest by two hours into the visit. very unlike his stance even a few years ago. Age or nature or nurture?