[Dailydrool] Our Toby to the Bridge

Nancy Schaefer jonquil at attglobal.net
Fri Aug 19 08:38:28 PDT 2011

Yesterday we made the heartbreaking decision to send our beautiful boy,
Toby, to the bridge, after it became clear that his old body could not
recover from acute pancreatitis.  He had been in the hospital, hooked up to
IVs for fluids and pain meds since Sunday night, and even seemed to be
rallying a bit on Wednesday, but yesterday as I held him in my arms, he told
me he was so tired  and just couldn't try any more.  Our vet gave Toby an
extra dose of pain med that allowed him to doze off, then administered the
overdose of anesthesia that finally ended his life.  There's no question
that it was the right thing to do, but I am taking this very hard.  Toby was
my baby, a gentle, sweet boy who loved to be doted on as much as we loved to
spoil him. He ruled our hearts and our home with that irresistible
combination of basset charm and stubborn determination.  And now our hearts
are aching, and our house is much too quiet.  Brevis' Toby Darling, our
Toby-Moby, 1/3/98 - 8/18/11.  Rest in peace, my little boy in basset
clothes. I love you.

Nancy, mom to Toby atb, Hadley atb, and Casey atb