[Dailydrool] dog food

dzantrofski69 at comcast.net dzantrofski69 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 17:40:53 PDT 2011

Hi all.  Once again I am going to bring up the subject of dog food.  I have 3 dogs, a 10-year-old lab, an approximately 8-year-old rescued mixed breed (med size) and 4-year-old basset.  I had fed Purina One in the past, then switched to Purina Dog Chow because of the cost of feeding 3 dogs.  Because the dogs were packing on the pounds, my vet recommended we switch to Science Diet Lite.  My dogs eat twice a day, once at about 5:30 a.m. with Millie the lab getting 2 cups, Buddy the mix gets about 1 1/2-2 cups and Reba the basset gets 1 cup, same at about 4:00 p.m.  I am going through a 30 pound bag of food in less than 2 weeks at $43./per bag.  I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on maybe a better quality  dog food where  I could feed  them just once a day so that a bag lasts longer, yet they are full, still at a good weight and maybe a little less money?  My second question is if I can find the right food, how do I transition them to eating only once a day?  As it is now, they KNOW when it is 4:00 and time for dinner and they come find me and not let me out of their sight until I feed them.. all 3 of them!

California Natural, Evo, Wellness, Canidae and Taste of the Wild were a few I found online but not sure of the quality or the prices.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tina