[Dailydrool] UTI

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:06:22 PDT 2011

I cannot even remember how many times Jellybean has had an UTI, but it is a lot, and the last one, a year and a half ago, was a very resistant strain with EColi.  Since then she has been taking nitrofurantoin 75 mg every night after last outs.  She also takes Crananidin,  a Veterinary formulated cranberry pill boosted with an anti EColi ingredient.  She was tested last Tuesday (she is tested every 3-4 months), and again,  she just developed UTI.   Again, it is a very resistant strain, and the Vet's office is doing extended testing to see what remedy would be best for her.  We are stopping the nitrofurantoin, as she seems to have developed an immunity to it.  On possible recourse would my giving her an injection 2x daily for 10 days, and honestly, I don't know if I can do that unless it is a very tiny needle.  I am so very squeamish, and I had to give Pierre Sr. allergy shots for a few years, and I just HATED it.  I am wondering if I should wipe her private parts a few times a day with a baby wipe.  I am wondering if there is something in the yard that triggers it.  She had a physical exam to see if her private area were too deep, thus attracting bacteria, and it really wasn't.  If it were, I am not so sure I would agree to a nip and tuck which I was told is sometimes done.  Please send no shot drool to Jellybean.  The side effect is possible kidney damage, and "in the way" of the Jellybean, if there is a side effect, she will embrace it.  She doesn't tolerate medicine well, she is very fragile in her own way, and we almost lost her twice to medicines with benign side effects, one for high hematocrit, the other for incontinence.  Most oral antibiotics sit well with her though, so I pray they can find one for her.
By the way, she is insane, very high energy and very fun, barks all the time, and she is the type of basset who can completely entertain herself.  Some days, she will grab one of Jean Paul's squeaky balls, and "500" the back yard, and then take a flying "G" force leap into the lap of anyone in her path.  Once, she was in my sister's lap, when my sister was on her computer, and Jelly pounded the keyboard a few times, and she opened up the Secret Service web site. We think she is a spy or an alien, LOL.
Healing drool to all in need.
Jackie and the herd, who are deprived of their yard tonight as neighbor is having a BIG outdoor party.  Leash walks it is kids, leash walks it is.