[Dailydrool] dog food

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Thu Aug 25 01:25:27 PDT 2011

First and foremost once a day feeding is a **BAD** idea.  It can easily lead to resource issues, food issues (guarding/resource) and is a marker for increased bloat potential (ie... if being fed once a day they're probably starving by the time they eat, and thus gulp food with more air, or that's the theory)

Second.. Food quantity ... are using an 8oz cup measure or using a scale to measure out exactly 8 oz cups?

Third, have you tried adding fillers ... canned no salt green beans, carrots (whole raw, minus any left over leafy tops)?

Lastly ... food itself.  I've been pretty happy using Kirkland's Premium Lamb dry food.  40 lbs $26.99 last week.  Kirkland's not for everyone .. and even one version may not be ok for all hounds.  Within 2 weeks of trying the Kirkland "healthy weight" / diet version of their food, my more "sensitive" hound broke out pretty badly ... and most of that went away a month after going back to the Lamb formula.  And the Kirkland foods do rank up there in the higher tiers... no they aren't your raw lamb/chicken/rice/potato ... but for dry food they're pretty decent.

-Robert