[Dailydrool] A Walk in the Park LOL

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:42:34 PST 2011

Beautiful day. MomPerson decides to get Nigel out in his cart. We always go
the same way, down our street to Westgate, down Westgate to the entrance of
Winnebago Park, the short route through the Park coming out on Winnebago
street, down that to the far end of Walnut and home. About a mile.
So we harnessed up and off we went and when we got into the park, as usual,
I took off Nigel's leash. Which of course is against the law and I would
not do it if he went any more than a couple of feet  ahead of me. It was
lovely, very quiet, before school is out. The jingle of the NIGEL license
on the back of the cart (there is one on the front, also) a cardinal flew
past, I heard a woodpecker, and suddenly Nigel just stopped, turned and I
turned, and there, about two feet from us was a brown and white male dog of
a breed that has an extremely bad reputation especially with other dogs.
And my heart just stopped.
I had said before I was going to start carrying my riding crop but I have
not.
I had a dog in a wheelchair, a cell phone, some poop bags and the leash.
Watching the dog approach even closer, now about a foot away, I held onto
Nigel's harness with one hand and lazily swung the leash at the ___ ____.
He tucked his tail and ran. Now I felt bad.
BUT NOT VERY. He was headed right for the Middle school. which gets out at
2:30  and I had no watch but it was well after 1pm when I left the house.
I called the police. They said they had had several calls about him. I
said, "He's NOT AGGRESSIVE, he is terrified. I don't mean he is harmless,
but he is really, really scared. He did not pose a threat at all."
Coming out of the park I ran into Animal Control. He asked if the dog was
aggressive and I said no no, he's scared-- he is someplace he shouldn't be:
he doesn't know how to get back, he is really terrified. If he were
cornered--- well---- I can't speak for that.-- Because I knew, to catch
him, they would probably have to corner him.

I hope he finds his way home, first. I really do. I did not get a whiff of
aggression off this dog, and he was young-- maybe a year. I hope he has a
chance to find his way home, or finds his way to a GOOD home. I almost got
in the Van and went looking......

MomPerson to Nigel (still in one piece more or less) and Llewis and Conley
and Cooper.