[Dailydrool] Drool needed in the desert

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:23:20 PST 2011

My Basil leaks, too.  He does get the occasional UTI, but mostly the vet
figures it's just weak muscles. (He doesn't urinate in his sleep, as
truly incontinent dogs do - he's aware that he has to go; just can't
always hold it long enough to get outside.) I'm not sure how you can
train a dog to do Kegels, so he's on a drug called Proin that helps with
incontinence by somehow medically tightening the muscles. It's not 100%
effective, but it's cheap, has no side effects that we've run into, and
it does help. When I'm gone during the day he wears a belly band.

I don't think it's as uncommon in males as your vet thinks - I know of
quite a number of male dogs who leak for one reason or another (UTI,
prostate, weak muscles, nerve damage, etc. In females, it's usually for
the same reason human females leak - weak muscles after childbirth or
spaying.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB