[Dailydrool] Suggestions for Ground Cover Ideas for Basset Owners

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 08:16:56 PST 2011

I too am interested in basset-friendly ground cover ideas. Our
backyard appears to be allergic to grass. It doesn't help that it
gets a lot of shade. I've tried having it professionally planted, and
last fall I put in a back-numbing twelve-hour day aerating the soil,
planting seed specially formulated for shady areas, spreading straw
all over it, fencing off the barest areas so our Elsinore and young
Charlie couldn't disturb the new growth, and watering it faithfully
until winter. Not that there wound up being much new growth. Any
suggestions for other ground cover ideas or ways to encourage grass
growth would be much appreciated.

Elizabeth