[Dailydrool] The wonders of indirect communication

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 23:27:42 PST 2011

When I walk the hounds, I always carry pockets full of plastic bags for clean
up. This evening I was walking the boys around the grassy areas bordering my
husband's workplace, waiting to pick up my husband after work.

A well-dressed, well-coiffed woman came out of his building on the way to her
car. She stopped and eyed me and the dogs and asked in slow, measured tones: "Do
you have a plastic bag?"

Misreading the situation entirely, I smiled and said in a friendly tone: "Sure.
Do you need one?"

The woman's face fell and she said in an affronted tone: "Me???!!!! I don't need
a plastic bag!!!" and hurried off to her car.

I was perplexed. I had thought perhaps she had something leaking in her purse or
something. It took me a moment to realize she had not been asking me a
straight-up question. Another moment to realize she had probably thought I had
offered her a bag in case she needed to avail herself of the grass for a quick
dump herself.