[Dailydrool] Xaxa's update - Is there a "right" time?

A. Woodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Sat Feb 19 15:44:58 PST 2011

After having several dogs die of congestive heart failure, I can tell you
that Xaxa will have good days, and he will also have bad days. For me it's
all about quality of life - if he is enjoying life and having more good days
than bad, then just let him be and watch him.  He will let you know when he
is no longer enjoying his life, and that is when it is time to let him go.
I think that's what people mean by "the look" and it is different for every
dog.

My last dog to die of congestive heart failure was Mr. Gus the Dachshund.
He could have lived possibly several months longer than he did, but he hated
taking medicine twice a day, just hated it, and he hated not being able to
go on walks, he lived for his walks.  One morning he refused to eat chicken
(unheard of), wouldn't take his medicine, and then turned around and trudged
over to his blankets with his shoulders all hunched down, and I knew that he
was totally unhappy with his life.  And I could hear his breathing getting
worse, which meant even more medicine, and I decided that even though I
could keep him alive a while longer, it would be for me, not for him.  His
quality of life was gone.  I called the Office, then the Vet and made an
appointment for several hours later, then he and I had some good last time
at home, then we went driving around in the car for a while (he loved that),
then we went to Jack In the Box and got cheeseburgers (he really loved
that), then went to the Vet.  I hated it and wished I could have put it off,
but I have never regretted sending him on that day, it was the right
decision for him.  Just watch and do your best.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net