[Dailydrool] adult children and pets

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:25:13 PST 2011

My mother was not allowed a pet so once married she always had dogs.   Later in life a few too many poodles.  My 2 older sisters resented the time and excuses of why they preferred not to visit. (You care more about the dogs than us) My other sister and I were not bothered .  Adult children have their own busy lives, they come  and go , the dogs are always there , do not move back home cramming their possessions everywhere, use an astonishing amount of hot water, electricity etc. and never complain about cleanliness  (It is your dog that we are cleaning up after, kiddo, the one who ate my dictionary and brand new Bujold book, not to mention countless shoes)  We alays had a few dogs too many (That cute brown dog who delivered up puppies and that cute kitten who still lives here.  I find it very relaxing you  abd hubby prefer the motel.)  As for clean, the floors are probably cleaner than when the kids were small as we wash them more often,had he not ben driving when he make that clean comment I would have been happy to hand him the Swiffer.  My suggestion that he cart his dresser that now resides in the entryway, downstairs seems to fall on deaf ears.  The drawers are down there, the rest might as well be. Then there was the computer server tray that reside in the driveway until the  police kindly took a picture of it  telling us to remove it forthwith, DH did that. We do so enjoy our corresponcence with the authorities over the years.   This is his second return home and I hope when he moves out this time he takes ALL his stuff as all those computer bits and pieces are everywhere and I have no idea whether they are junk to be tossed or useful stuff, I have no idea how the air-conditining people bvattled their way to the furnace area.  The bassets never borrow the car or get drunk and drive it into a tree (Thank doG those days are behind us.)  Nor do they keep all their school work from the 5th grade. and other such memerabelia in boxes everywhere.  If someone had told me that you just might be keeping all their junk indefinately I might have reconsidered the only child concept.  In our cse the dogs never replaced the children who grew up, just more of a good thing that was always there.  I just do not like the critizism when they ae young and strong and quite capable of making the house  pristine if they chose.  Most of the mess is clutter anyway. a lot of it theirs.  So now my response is, What needs cleaning and you clean it.  I am busy feeding, petting and loving on YOUR dog.