[Dailydrool] Dogs on Couches

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 11:23:04 PST 2011

I know nothing of how to train a dog not to get onto the couch, unless it
starts when they are a puppy. I have always encouraged mine to get on the
couch because I like to love on them and they keep me warm. However, I can
understand that some people do not like their dogs to get on their couches -
especially the nice ones that are for company. We keep matching sheets over
the couch coushins, regularly washing them to rid us of the hair and drool,
and ultimately removing them before certain guests (my parents) arrive. :)

I imagine your formal sitting room doesnt have a door you can close, but is
rather part of an open entry way, or living space. Since you do not want to
instill fear in an already fearful or anxious hound, perhaps you can try
stacking books or something on the couch so he cannot access it and
removing the books or objects when company comes over, or after he gets used
to the rules and no longer shows a desire to be on that piece of furniture.

Best of luck,
Kacy w/Cowboy (content on the floor) and Rupert (who hogs couches, beds,
laps, whatever he possibly can)
San Diego, Ca