[Dailydrool] HOunds and Furniture

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 10 12:23:30 PST 2011

At 13:34 1/10/2011, Jane wrote:

>When I told the Houndettes that someone was thinking about keeping their
>hounds off the furniture, they literally started to laugh out loud and roll
>on the floor! Years ago when Jersey first came to us, I had said she needed
>to stay off the furniture. Well, that lasted about two minutes with the DH
>and he had her up on the couch. She and the others have been there ever
>since. One of the things that our trainer suggested when we were having some
>aggression problems with Ginger was to keep her off the furniture. We
>actually are pretty consistent about telling her off when we find her on the
>furniture but she consistently "forgets" the rules when we're not right
>there in the room with her. The only time I know she's not on the furniture
>is when we're not home and she's in her crate! All I can say is good luck!

We bought a new sofa a while back and intended to keep Myrtle off
it.  I bought a four pack of mouse traps, set them w/o any bait, and
put them on the sofa.

Worked like a charm.  Myrtle put her front feet on the sofa, sniffed
one of the traps, and set it off.  It scared the living dickens out
of her.  As long as a mouse trap was on the sofa, she wouldn't even
try to get on.  After that, we didn't set the traps.

Being a professional basset, however, she worked her wiles and before
long Jean bought a throw for the couch, and Myrtle finds it very comfy.

Tommy H in Baton Rouge