[Dailydrool] diets

Dona - Bob - and The Princess Hattie Rose earstoyou at att.net
Tue Jan 11 23:16:23 PST 2011

Julie,
You mentioned problems with weight...
  >A year ago, MacKenzie was up to 70 pounds.  She'd put 10 pounds on in 6 months.  The vet told us - cut it back, she's way overweight.  So, for the
last year we've had MacKenzie on half rations. <

Hattie had a problem with weight... at 5 and a half, she started to limp a bit... so I was bound and determined not to let our bad habits hurt her. (Dad loves to give her bites and treats)
I put her on a very strict diet and she is looking great!  Can't tell you actual pounds, but I'm betting at least 10# in <3 months.

How did we do it?  Frozen green beans cut very small about 1 cup per meal, 1/3 cup no carb kibble, and about a tablespoon of chicken or beef.  It was a bit of a problem at first, until I learned that beans are NEVER supposed to be more than 1/2 inch in length (I buy the long skinny ones from the freezer dept at ALDI)... In general, 2 meals a day were holding her...but recently as she has lost weight and become more active, I've had to add a third meal (or suffer seeing her eat poop).  I swear by this.  I don't much care for having to cut beans all the time, but it looks like she is happier and healthier and if that means less arthritis or diabetes... I'm for it.

Good luck
Dona and the svelte Princess Hattie Rose

 For dog hats and embroidery visit
http://www.earstoyou.net