[Dailydrool] Supplements

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 15 07:13:47 PST 2011

At 02:57 1/15/2011, Dawn Gardner wrote:

>My little beagle Annie had some liver issues.  I found that buying the Sam-E
>and Milk Thistle (the two ingredients in Denamarin - S-Adenosylmethionine is
>SAM-E and Silybin is from Milk Thistle) from the health food store was much
>cheaper than the Denamarin, which was over $100 for a week's worth where I
>got it.  Her level was actually 2300 at one point, and it took over a month
>to get it back to normal.  I also had her on Vitamin E and a few other
>things for a while.  Turmeric was also one of them, but I'm not sure what
>the function of it is (if you look it up, turmeric is a wonderful thing!) I
>wish I could remember everything.  I use a holistic vet who had her on some
>supplements, and she did well.  Of course, we had the trouble of not knowing
>WHY her levels were up, which I guess was the story of my life when it comes
>to my dogs.

OTOH, I find the vitamin E supplements at my vet are quite a bit
higher than OTC at the grocery store.

I've been giving my hound ladies 400IU of VE for some time.  It's in
a gelcap and they think it's a treat, albeit a small one.  I think it
does wonders for their coats.  I can't take it anymore as it
interacts with one of the meds I'm on.

I am wary of using supplements w/o running it by my vet who seems to
have a special spot for my hound ladies.  He says they are his best
patients, but I digress.  The effect of supplements on dogs may be
different than on we humans.  Just look at foods we like that they
have trouble with, chocolate, raisins, etc.  I saw something a long
time ago that most animals don't need vitamin C supplements as they
are capable of synthesizing it, something we can't do.  While it may
be useful and certainly sincere, I get medical advice for myself and
my hounds from professionals.

I imagine the people on this list are way above average in the care
we give our hounds and other, lesser critters.  <bg>  We notice
things that are out of the ordinary and respond, so they are much
better cared for.  My wife was a visiting nurse and some of the
things she saw, and that includes treatment of two legged critters,
was appalling.  While she could report human abuse to social
services, there wasn't much she could do, except arrange the
occasional adoption, for the furballs.  She had a long talk with our
vet about it, and there is practically nothing that can be done
legally.  Our animal welfare people aren't staffed/financed well enough.

There I go, preaching again, probably to the choir!

Drool to the person who lost St. Nick.  He is in good company ATB.

Tommy in Baton Rouge