[Dailydrool] Bubba and possible tumor

Dayna Whitehead Dayna.Whitehead at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 06:26:54 PST 2011

Hello, fellow droolers,

I don't post often, but I need some guidance, moral support, etc. Bubba was
an MBR rescue taken in 12/2005. I was the foster home. My MIL adopted him,
but had some medical issues a few months later so he came back to me and I
kept him. He's been the most healthy basset I've had the pleasure of having
with the exception of when he came into our care. He was horribly sick and
almost died. Thanks to a suggestion from Melissa re: Doxycycline, he
survived and thrived! I love this basset nearly as much as I do my Pierre.
He has no lumps and bumps like so many do, including my Pierre and LaBelle.
Now, however, he's been off his food for a couple of weeks, had an X-ray and
is now awaiting an ultrasound to find out what the shadow was on the X-ray.
My vet thinks it's a tumor either next to or on one of his kidneys. He's
only 9 years old (10 in June) and I can't imagine losing him. We went
through this a year ago with Nikki, my husband's dog. We know now we should
never have put a giant breed through that surgery at 15 years old (the
removal of his spleen as well as the tumor), but we didn't want to lose him.
We had been on borrowed time with him to begin with because of Nikki's age
and we gained nearly 8 months from having the surgery, but had we known
exactly what we would be putting him through, we would never have done it.
Bubba, however, is a different story because of his age and his great health
previously. I need advice as to how to get him to eat. He's refusing
everything so far. We've tried homemade gravy over his food, treats and
Hill's prescription diet (i/d). Thank you again for any advice. I can't lose
another one so soon. I just read about broth boiled rice and will be trying
that later today.

Dayna
mailto: Dayna.Whitehead at comcast.net

Mom to: Pierre, Bubba and LaBelle, notabassets Izzy and Elke