[Dailydrool] on Bassets and Dachshunds

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 04:25:32 PST 2011

We brought a silver dapple longhair Dachshund boy into our Bassety home almost 10 years ago.  Rudy has short man syndrome, big time, and has no idea he is smaller than the other dogs.  He has recently lost his hearing, and most of his wits.  It is so much fun to see him romping and playing with 50 lb. Bruno, who is actually quite gentle with his little senile brother!  I say he has lost his wits as I have not seen him play like this in years!  He is 15 lbs. at his heaviest, but to me is just another short dog in the house!

Many years ago, a visiting child called all our dogs basketpounds, so that has been what we have called the bunch of Bassets and one Dachshund ever since!

I know many people who have a collection of short dogs - go for it - we walk Rudy the Dachshund with our eldest Basset - they are both almost 11 - and it is a good combination of short legs with slower walker!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , RESKU , HORSEKU and DUFFY TO THE RESCUE with TOM SCHRECK!