[Dailydrool] This and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 06:31:21 PST 2011

Thanks so much for suggesting BaRCSE, Michele. doG knows we need the money
but I think we have to be realistic. There are a couple of rescues here in
the Carolina's that have a huge support base and they seem to win each time.
I would rather have a needy rescue (well, we're all needy!) that at least
has a chance to win be the one we vote for this time. I know Leslie has a
lot of supporters in her home state but I really think that her rescue won
because a bunch of Droolers voted every day for her to win that money. I
know I voted every day and will again for the rescue that is picked. $1000
is such a gift to any rescue!

I use basset ears to cover the Houndettes eyes when we have to do something
unpleasant to them, especially when we cut their nails. We initially had to
muzzle Jersey but, over the years, she has finally come to trust us and she
lays in my lap with her eyes covered with her ears. I whisper sweet nothings
in her ear while the DH does the dirty deed. She still rumbles and growls
but it has been quite a while since she has tried to get a piece of me. I do
the same with Shadow and Suzy but Suzy sounds like she's being killed with
each nail and Shadow just suffers quietly through the whole process. Ginger
is a little challenged in the ear department. I guess they're long enough to
cover her eyes but we can't get her to be still enough to do her nails so
she goes to the vets.

We have recently found dehydrated sweet potatoes at our local pet food
store. They feel like they are hard as rock but the Houndettes are able to
chew on them and break them up into little pieces and it seems to help clean
their teeth. They're a little pricey but much cheaper than having to have
four hounds have dentals. I was going to try and figure out how to dehydrate
sweet potatoes myself but I read someplace that the sweet potato skin
contains toxins for dogs and kind of gave up on the whole thing. If anyone
knows anything about this, let me know because I'd love to be able to make
them myself.

I loved Bev's note about basset buppy ears! You can all have a good laugh at
my expense....we had quite a controversy going on when our BaRCSE puppies
came to us. All of us do rescue and we have very little experience with new
born buppies. We ended up sending pix of the bups to other basset rescues
around the US to try and figure out if they were more basset than anything
else! It's kind of funny now but who knew that they didn't come out with the
wonderful ears they end up with!

As much fun as it is to see the puppies that all of our rescues have right
now, it's terribly sad that we're getting so many. There has been such a
push to spay/neuter your dog here in the US but all of us are bringing in
these pregnant females. I'm looking forward to seeing every one's pix of
your puppies as they grow and I'm praying that you have as much luck in
finding good homes for your little ones as we were able to with our little
family. Our little guys are being spayed/neutered this week and will be
moving on to their new families pretty soon. I'm hoping that their foster
family gets another video or two that I can share with you before the
buppies go to their new homes. You can see the most recent videos on our
website at barcse.org.

The Houndettes send heart healing and get well drool mixed in with a few
prayers from me to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger