[Dailydrool] Friday Night with Bassets

Julie Haegele jules56pt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:52:33 PDT 2011

Let the dog in.  Let the dog out.  Let the dog in.  Let the dog out.  Let
the dog in........  All night long they go in, they go out.  And never at
the same time.  We need a new back door.  Ours is worn out.  Literally.

Yesterday I Furminated Miss Shelby.  She was covered with a whole other dog
in fur.  Marley was next.  Shelby's was mostly black and white.  Marley's
was red and white.  Maggie and Ninja declined to be furminated.  They don't
shed nearly as much as the other two.  Tonight Picasso wanted to be brushed,
or so I thought.  He was not too happy about the whole thing.  I could have
made a couple of cats with the fur.  He is long haired and has lots of it.
I guess he just wanted to be like the dogs.  The cats are becoming very
doglike.  They act very bassety at times. They are almost as much fun as the
bassets.  Almost.  We have never had cats before. Son #1 left them here and
is going to do so again. He is moving out on Tuesday.  I should be sad----in
my next life or something.  He has to pay extra to keep the cats at his
apartment.  I don't want them to go. They have so much more to do here and
four dogs to mess with.  I am allergic to them but if I keep using my
inhaler we all get along.

We have at least 5 door dashers here including the cats.  Ninja, Marley and
Maggie all try to get out.  Ninja and Maggie have succeeded with alarming
results.  Maggie was two streets over and not the least bit worried about
us.  She was out for a good time.  Ninja was out patroling and telling
everyone to get off her turf.  It could have ended badly.  We work very hard
at not letting them out off leash.  Maggie would just try to lick everyone
to death.

Our first two bassets would get out of fences and things.  When we lived in
Germany, they got out of the yard and were snootering a neighbor's
cabbages.  No real harm was done but the gardener was not amused.  Once, in
another place, the neighbors took their two collies for a walk and ended up
with two bassets also.  They had let themselves out under the gate and gone
walking with friends.  Another time Daisy went to the shop next door and was
sitting up in front of the deli counter wanting a treat.  Everyone was
always nice and returned them to us.  We had to be really careful not to
leave them for  minute.  They were always up to something.   We haven't had
an escape in quite a while.  We have some really crabby neighbors now and
they would not be too nice if the girls came to visit.

Everyone is sacked out and wondering why the old fools don't just go to bed.
The cats are already there.

We are sending snooters and drool to all in need.  There has been so much
sadness on the Drool.  Enough is enough.
Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby with the annoying kitty boys.  And the Mom
too.