[Dailydrool] heart murmur and sedatives

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 03:27:07 PDT 2011

Have you checked with your Vet?
If he gave you the meds and said "Try this" then you already have talked to
him and ignore this.
If not, I sure would talk to him before you use a sedative on ANY dog,
especially one with issues already.

Here is what happened the one time I did that-- gave Mitchell Ace because he
was so terrified of a situation. (And I called the Vet first, because we
were out of state and I had to get him to talk a strange Vet into selling me
some Ace)
It turned  the dog into a stumbling, slobbering, unco-ordinated and
TERRIFIED animal. He was no less afraid than he had been before,
only now he could not physically cope by running away and hiding, and he was
also terrified of what was happening to him.
There was no way we could explain to him.
I ended up sitting the car, holding him and crying for about two hours. I
will never, ever do it again. (That was Mitchell, bless his heart.)

If you are talking about homeopathic remedies they generally do not have
that effect.

And once the dog is upset, nothing will work quite the way it is supposed to
unless it is an anesthetic, which I am sure you are
not using.

Many of the sedatives do not work the way you think they do. They relax the
dog physically but not mentally. I have had some luck with this new
product called COMPOSURE and a thundershirt, combined, given and put on
BEFORE the noise starts. It means this weekend Cooper will be eating lots
of Composure and wearing his Thundershirt, and it won't STOP his fear, but
it puts a lid on it.

Good luck. Good luck to all of you with noise-sensitive hounds and cats and
other dogs. And please, DONT TAKE YOUR BABIES TO FIREWORKS. Dogs do
not belong at fireworks displays in my opinion.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper(Aaaiiieee!! WHAT WAS THAT
BANG????)