[Dailydrool] Eli is limping

Susan Fulmer susanbfulmer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 21:13:31 PDT 2011

Friday morning after our walk, I noticed that Eli was holding his back left
leg up.  At the time, he was fixated on the bushes where he heard some
squirrels running around, so I thought his paw was lifted as part of some
squirrel fixation.  I didn't notice him limping, and he even ran around the
dog park while I was taking pictures of Charley Brown for BaRCSE later that
afternoon.  (Side note- Charley Brown is a sweety.  Check him out...
http://www.barcse.org/dogs/charley_brown.html)

Anyway, that evening we noticed that Eli would keep his paw lifted whenever
he was standing.  We've looked it over again and again, but can't find
anything in it.  The pads look ok, although there is one part that is hard
to the touch but not cracked or cut.  Nothing between the toes.  Nails are
ok.  Leg and hips seem fine.  We took him with us to the beach this weekend,
but kept him at the house except for short walks to take care of his
business.  He will walk on it with a limp.  Several times he wanted to keep
walking, but we wouldn't let him walk further since we didn't want to make
it worse.  (Slave training note from Eli... I really wanted to go to the
crab dock.  It smells soooo good dere.  Dere's fishies and birdies and
crabs.  And dere is small hoomans and big hoomans that pets me.  So I puts
on my sad face and made Mama or Daddy carries me dere.  Mama says it's good
thing I only weigh 38 pounds.)

The only thing I can think is that either something is up with the harder
part on the pad or he might have sprained it running around the yard.  He
doesn't cry in pain and let's me touch his leg or paw with no problem.
Since it was a holiday weekend and not an emergency, we knew we couldn't
take him to the vet until Tuesday, so we figured rest was the best option.
I am going to call the vet in the morning to make an appointment.  Does
anyone have experience with sprains, and if so, how long did it take to
heal?  Other thoughts about what's going on?

Thanks,
Susan