[Dailydrool] Introducing dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:57:38 PDT 2011

First all the dogs I have introduced have been puppies to adults. Since
puppies fall (normally) into the "no kill" zone among adult dogs, we simply
put the pup in the backyard and let the dogs out. We've never had a problem
until the testosterone kicks in at about two years, and then we have a
period when it seems to be every-male-dog-neutered-or-not-for-himself. I
have never (knock on wood) had a fight that required stitches, altho Cooper
once accidentally bit into a sebaceous cyst on Mitchell and opened it.
(GAK).
However I have helped introduce adult dogs and we have always
been lucky; and we always start by walking the dogs together in a neutral
place two or three times. Then when we have done that, we put the new dog in
the yard and walk the resident dog out for a meet. Generally speaking,
nothing of note happens.

It is entirely possible that we have been blessed with extraordinary luck.

I know that when we had Zelda and we also had intact males, the possibility
of serious male-to-male aggression escalated by about 1000%, which is why
poor Zelda spent her "cycle" at the kennel, in a run, being let outside all
alone. Zelda, as it happens, was a slut by any standard when she was in
season up to a point when she abruptly became the Tasmanian Devil. I had
never had a bitch before Zelda and this was something I learned swiftly
during heat cycle #1.

Nobody says "NO" quite like a bitch who is no longer receptive. As the
gentlemen dogs I had then quickly learned.

Drool to you who need it.
Cool weather to those who are too hot.
Electricity to those who have not.
No More Thunder or Fireworks to those who have HAD ENOUGH!!

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper