[Dailydrool] Medt and Greet at Petsmart

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:39:44 PDT 2011

In addition to fostering bassets I also foster one dog from the local Partners 4 Pets.  At present I have a little female Shih Tzu who needs to learn to come  to people.  I take her to the Petsmart on Sundays.   The area where the dog cages are kept is loud and noisy with over-excited dogs of all ages.    I am surprised any dog is able to present itself  as a possible adoptable dog.  I have seen small children in tears, so I can imagine a dog would find it even more so as they are more likely to understand the vibes of the other dogs.   If I were choosing a possible companion for oneof my dogs I would look at the possibilities and ask them to bring the dogs out one at a time to a grassy area outside the store.   They usually bring the dogs out to pee and get a drink so most groups should be comfortable with that idea.  Our local Petsmart let te=hem use the traing  area to let familymembers get to know the dog a little.  It is a little away from the crates and not so noisy.