[Dailydrool] Willow Beast

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 19 16:58:09 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I know I do not write too often about a specific hound here.  But I want you
all to know a little about Willow.

Willow came to us back in 2005, I think, or 2004, but thinking 2005.
Springtime, it was.  She had been adopted out at about 4yrs of age through
SBR, and was now being returned, at age 10, due to I cannot remember.  I
received her for the rescue.  Her owner had let her get a huge yeast
infection, and from about her shoulders down, she was hairless, and her skin
was angry.you know red and hot.  Her face and ears were mostly bald.  It was
all I could do to be civil to the woman,  who complained that nothing she
did helped Maggie.  Oops, forgot, her name was Maggie when she came back in.

Come to  find out, when I took her to the vet for SBR, they recognized her
immediately, as she was a patient with them.  Doc told me he could never get
the woman to follow through with her skin regimen to get her better.  At
that point, we started the regimen, which was a bath every 3 days, in
Maleseb,  let it sit for ten minutes and rinse well.  Also she was on
ketoconazole (SP?) for several months.  It was a PIA,  but baths  were a
bonding time for us, as I would tell her stories in which she was the
heroine.  I do think she enjoyed some of the "tails".

About 4-6 weeks later,  her hair started growing back,  her face became soft
and she was itching less and less.  We nicknamed her, the Hairy Beast.  We
took Maggie to a dog event, and decided to get her read by a pet psychic.
We were told she hated the name Maggie, as the young boys in the home called
her maggot.  She was left either in the garage or the back yard and
basically alone since no one wanted to touch her.   And then the psychic
told us, she liked the name Willow.   We left and sat down for a few minutes
and I decided to see if the psychic was good.  I called out, Willow,  and
she came right over.  So that was her name,  Willow.

Willow stayed on SBR's adoption page for several years.   She could be such
a B***ch  that I was always willing to let her go to a home where she could
be an only dog.  She can be, and still is, soooo crabby to the others.  I
just pulled her off Valentine last night.  Pat finally convinced me we were
her home and she was never getting adopted, so she became official a couple
years ago.

Willow is now about 16+.  She is cranky, and very grey,  but still has the
last word around here.  She rules with her toothless growls. Her time is
shorter than I would like, but she continues to be a HUGE presence on our
home.

As time has gone by,  we nicknamed her many things, but Willow Beast is our
favorite,  Beast stands for B***ch of the East.  She wears the title
proudly.

Willow will be Senior Houndsabound's submission in the 2012 Senior Basset
calendar contest.  She deserves to be honored.  She will also grace
2/26/2012 on the DD calendar next year.

Go Willow!  Long live Willow Beast!!

Drool to all who are in need this evening.

Wen and the Bounders

www.seniorhoundsabound.org