[Dailydrool] Overstimulated Basset Hound

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 21 15:23:41 PDT 2011

Hi all, momPerson here,

I have news for everyone.  NEVER overstimulate your basset hound.  Especially if
your basset hound is a rescue who is overcoming "issues" like fear and food
aggression.  If you were to say, send his favorite kid away to camp for a month
and then have her come back with her sister and then have your mother in law
come to visit for a week arriving the day after the kids get back from camp ...
that could be bad.  Especially from the perspective of your beloved Labrador
retriever.

Cyrus has been very patient and loving with Snoopy.  For the month while the
kids were gone they were inseparable.  For whatever reason, when Snoopy feels
overwhelmed, he invariably turns on Cyrus.  Snarls, snaps, chases him through
the house.  He doesn't actually bite (thank goodness) but he can sure talk
trash.  Cyrus tolerates it all.  You know, it's the weirdest thing.  If Snoopy
is trying to assert authority (like when they wrestle and Snoopy trys humping
his head ... it's happened) then Cyrus will make Snoopy back down.  But if
Snoopy is simply running on pure adreniline and needs to vent then Cyrus just
takes it all off of him ... just rollls with it and lets Snoopy get it all out.

It really bugs me ... him yelling at Cyrus like that.  I mean he's loud and he's
rude and he's persistant and he's ... well ... he's hounding my poor Lab.  Darn
hound dog.  And he was doing SO well before all of the comings and goings.  I
guess he has to get accustomed to accepting change and feeling secure through it
all.  Cyrus is a much better momPerson than I am at this ... so Cyrus is taking
care of Snoopy.

And I am loosing my mind with this darn basset hound who overnight forgot how to
walk on lead and leave us alone at the table and leave the girls things alone
and be NICE to Cyrus.  He's lucky he's cute.

Flustered momPerson
with Snoopy doing the Natalies home dance since Sunday now
and
Cyrus ... who doesn't really mind if the little twerp looses his manners
periodically ... but it drives my momPerson crazy