[Dailydrool] Losing Back Leg Control

Cathy Rice cathy.rice1 at att.net
Wed Jul 27 10:25:43 PDT 2011

We have been dealing with this for the past month. Our 9 (?) year old foster failure began losing her back end. Sometimes she wobbles and is able to recover, sometimes not so I give her an "assist" to get her backend back up. Sometimes her left leg will slide out from under her. Thankfully my husband installed ramps on our deck two years ago when my older male began to have problems. I did take her to my vet and asked for an xray. It showed she did have some disc degeneration but the main problem is in her back end where the spine meets the pelvis. The vet said it is neurological and no amount of surgery will help. Not Uncommon Basset problem according to him. She has already undergone three surgeries since May so I wasn't wanting to put her through another anyway. Right now I am taking her to Physical Therapy for Laser teatments twice a week and it seems to be helping. She is also taking Glucosamine and Duralacton which is an anti-inflammatory. Hopefully you have someone at your vet that does laser therapy. My vet doesn't so I have to drive her to the other side of town for treatment.  We'll sling some Drool Droopy's way and hopefully you can find something that helps him.

Cathy
OBR Momslave to Dozer, Grace, foster Marley, GSD Leah, Nathan ATB, Barry ATB