[Dailydrool] bassets and gardens

Michael Meckler meckler.12 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 17 03:49:14 PDT 2011

Before Dermot arrived, I had two rows of asparagus in the back
garden...and anyone who has grown asparagus knows it takes a couple
of years to get established and requires a fair amount of soil
preparation (especially if you have clay soil, as I do).

Anyway, the first year I had Dermot, he paid no attention to the
asparagus.

The second year, he showed no interest in the stalks when they first
emerged and were harvested, but later in the summer, he started
chewing on the stalks that were left to become fronds once the stalks
had become somewhat hard and dry. I dismissed this as a variation on
Dermot's penchant for chewing sticks.

The third year, Dermot took intense interest in the stalks as they
emerged, chewing them down to the roots like a rabbit. I was unable
to harvest any asparagus, and this year (the fourth), nothing came up
at all.

So next year, I'm putting in a raised bed and will try to figure out
a vegetable he won't eat. Any suggestions?